Welcome. Enjoy your stay. Hope you get something useful out of this page. If not, hope you were entertained. If not, well, i don't know why you're here. Maybe cuz i begged and grovelled.

Wednesday, July 17, 2002

WEll, its about time I updated. Sorry to my faithful readers who have been keeping up to date with my blog and being constantly entertained by my random nonsense, yet important , queries and thoughts that pertain to our wonderful existence on this planet. I am thinking of being cool like the Eighth Wonder (Aka. Adrian fung, my roomate aka, hey throw away your wontons aka, you flushed what down the toilet? aka can you put those tapioca balls up your nostril aka, beatbox in the shower.) to start up another blog site for my written lyrics/poetry stuff. Of course, i don't have his rhyme complexities but one day i will . (Yes i admire him alot and do not have an inferiority just because he can freestyle on the spot or have a polysyllabic rhyme scheme in his head or play the cello or put me in complex submission holds) But i have digressed once again. As for my entry for today will be a somewhat serious one and a few poetics here and there.

Tonite, I was invited by a youth 'pastor' from the church who obviously believes in my very minimal piano skills. Ok. yes i'm being humble. Because honestly, I think I still have tons to learn. Anyway, I was invited by her to go to this camp and help play for the session. MY brother also got invited to play guitar and so we ended up going to this YMCA camp place. I was ready not to go because it was so last minute and the songs that I were looking at (esp. the chinese ones) Were soooo corny. No offense to the hong kong/taiwan christian music industry but its time to get out of the 60's karaoke groove type music. Well, what do I know, (As my dad puts it) about music. Not that my opinion would matter anyway. Perhaps I jsut need to be more accepting :) So after a long tiring day at work (BTw, for those of you who have been icqing me at work, I did get omething new assigned at the END of the dAY), I wasn't exactly looking forward to this 'thing.' I was briefly told that this even was to challenge the kids to go reach places for God and live out Matthe 28:19-20. Oh, on a sidenote, I had lunch with Anna today which was also a good time of just reflection and also got to fellowship as well over nasty lunch food (sorry anna). Let us never neglect the food aspect when we have "Food and Fellowship".

Some songs that we did were People Need the Lord, Here I am, I will follow (Yes, the sister act song), and Pass it on. I will follow wasnt too hot and the chinese songs (2 of them) were quite alrite. Lord I lift your name on high was alrite but it was hard to follow Kwai Sheung Counsellor cuz she doesnt really have a sense of when stuff should come in. Once again , God using me to humble me rite there and then. But her heart was there and so were the 30-40 kids in the room.
I guess I started off just seeing it as a job and very reluctant. But somehow, I don't know what it was, but definitely God was speaking to me rite through the music I was playing through my fingers. In the dark (the lights were off becuz of the transparencies) my heart was moved... I don't know if its because of all the emotional toil that I've been experiencing the past last month and also all these crazy realizations that I've had about my life at this point in time, but man, was God really speaking to my heart. The music that came out was something i had never heard before nor ever experienced.... Even though I made a few bloopers, and my brother and I weren't exactly together, the words hit home when I was playing People need the Lord. I remember the first time hearing this song sung by Steve Green and yeah, I was probably about 8 sitting in my dad's Grand Wagoneer in Minnesota in some summer of my ordinary existence, and it took me back a bout a decade and a bit to think that that song impacts my life once again in the year 2002. People need the Lord. I don't know if that song means anything to you or if you heard it, but the line that says "Every day, they pass me by, I can see it in their eyes... Empty people filled with care, headed who knows where... ON they go with private pain, living fear to fear, laughter fills their silent cries, only Jesus hears" Wow. That hit home. Whether you, the reader, believe in Jesus Christ as the God of this universe who cares about your existence or not, we forget that there are people. You. Me. who have all this pain we carry. Christian or not. We still carry this pain in side but those around you remember, who are there to help you who God has placed in Your life to help you along the way. Share, laugh, cry. But if its private pain. Truly bring it to the foot of the Cross where Jesus promised you that relationship that He'd help you through it.
I realized I have forgotten my calling from Matthew 28:19-20. Go and tell the gospel to the ends of the earth... baptizing them in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit.... (Paraphrased) I have forgotten amidst figuring out what is going on with personal relationships, friendships, work, pain, laughing, longing, uncertainties, certainties..... I have forgotten what I am called to do in this life. Steven Curtis Chapman puts it quite nicely in his song, More to This Life.
"There's more to this life,
Than living and dying
More than just trying to make it through the day
More to this life,
More than these eyes alone can see
And there's more to this life alone can be..." Think about that

Well, now you guys will know what I'm thinking of doing. It's not a plan but perhaps a possibility. But nothing is for certain yet. I was inspired in some ways by my friend Dave Lam who is now probably in vancouver or mebbe he's gone to D.C. already... but he took a year off before working to work with YWAM and do missions work. Pretty neat. And Just hearing and reading his emails on his updates and to see where God has taken him as he's growing to be more like Jesus, inspired me to perhaps consider missions after my professional degree. CTI ? maybe. But I feel like CTI doesn't offer the bible training that I need to go on more music ministry type excursions... so there has been look into YWAM. Country? that has to be God but mebbe if you are curious, you'll ask me yourself. Honestly, it's one of those tough times where I wonder why I'm here. I guess I go through that every so often to find my place here. Its like, well what have I done here thats been good? hmm... i don't know. I always wonder how those big big 'famous' worship leaders 'made it' ... well obviously God took them there. I think that for me, that isn't my role. Or maybe it is but I'll need to start low and small before anything big. I need to humble myself and Be still and know that He is God. Constantly. (Ps. 46:10) and also to learn what it is to abide in Jesus. (John 15). Well mebbe I'll just go on tour with Justis and be his cook or something. He'll have chicken adobo everyday (alternating with Fahn Keh Ngau Yuk Fahn . -- beef and tomato with rice)

It's been a good evening although there were a few blow ups by my brother and my dad but its been a long long day. and I still have to wake up early tomorrow. I Finally started writing again and trying to express myself through poetics and lyricsm... hasn't worked out too well but I've been trying to write random lines that I do come up with, down on a note book so I can recycle them sometime later. Now if only I can get my hands on some USB audio, midi module for my computer.

Here it is. It was written last nite:
In You alone I find my peace
In You alone I find my rest
In You alone there is comfort
In You alone I trust

When the storms of life rage around me
Where do I turn
When I sink in waves of despair
What more can I do � but trust in You

You calm the seas, without a word
You calm my pain, with Your love
You still my heart, with Your song
What more could I want
Nothing more but You.
Words and music by Jonathan Ho
Copyright 2002 Adobo Publishing


That was my prayer to God last night. Admist through all that I am/ was going through, He has always been there to show Himself more and more to me.
Hope that encourages some of you wherever you are in your life, don't only know but encounter the living God and the rest you will find on your journey in life.

That's all for now. Peace outside from the land of muggy air, sweaty people, stinky people, and curry fishballs on a stick.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home